Police FAQ

  • Do residents have to follow the 3-hour parking requirements?
    Yes, except that property owners with homes on streets adjacent to the 3-hour zone may apply for a permit (one per property) to exempt one vehicle from the 3-hour parking restriction in the block adjacent to their home. All other vehicles must follow the parking requirements posted on the streets for the scheduled restriction periods. Three hour limits are not in place during evenings, weekends, or summers when the parking congestion is not typically a problem.
  • What happens if I lose my Residential Parking Permit?
    A replacement fee of $25.00 applies. The permit holder/property owner must complete a replacement permit application and file a police report to limit fraudulent redistribution and replacement of issued permits. An individual in possession of a stolen permit is subject to criminal prosecution.
  • Is hunting allowed in Oakport?
    Hunting is allowed on private property and on public property with these restrictions: 
    • Hunters must have proper Minnesota license in possession and follow all carry and transport laws for weapons.

    • Hunter must obtain permission of the property owner if using their land. At this time, Buffalo Red River Watershed District is not issuing permits.
      • Firearms
        • Shotgun only for deer with slug (single projectile) from elevated stand of 5 feet.
        • Waterfowl and Turkey hunting from ground level is acceptable within normal state restrictions.
        • Must be at least 500 feet from any human occupied buildings, public right of way, or livestock unless hunter has written permission of land owner.
      • Archery
        • Ground level hunting is acceptable within normal state restrictions.
        • Must be at least 200 feet away from human occupied buildings, public right of way, or livestock unless hunter has written permission of land owner.
        • Target practice is allowed
          • Must be 200 feet from any buildings not owned by target shooter unless has written permission from landowner.
          • A suitable back stop is required.
          • Can be inside a building with a suitable backstop.
    • Hunters must remove field dressing entrails on public lands and within 200 feet of property lines if on private lands in order not to attract predators and to avoid unsightliness.
  • How many cats and dogs can I have at my home?

    You may have no more then 4 dogs and/or 4 cats over six months of age (4 pets total). There is an exception to this limit, you may request a permit from the police department to have an additional 2 dogs or cats as part of a qualified home associated with an organization for rescue or sheltering of abandoned or lost animals. Time limits and additional requirements do apply. Animal control is included in Title 3 Chapter 7 of the Moorhead City Code

  • Do I need a pet license for my dog or cat?
    Dogs and cats do need to be licensed annually.  You will need to provide current rabies vaccination information from your veterinarian.  You can license your pet online or in person at the Police Department
  • What type of community notification occurs for the various risk levels?

    The type of community notification that occurs depends on the risk level to which an offender has been assigned. The depth and breadth of the disclosure depends upon the level of danger posed by the offender, his or her pattern of offending behavior, and the need of community members for information to enhance individual and community safety. Notification for the three levels is as follows:

    Level I Offenders
    The law enforcement agency may maintain information about the offender within the agency and disclose it to other law enforcement agencies. The law enforcement agency also may disclose the information to any victims or witnesses to the offense committed by the offender. The agency must disclose information to victims of the offense who have requested disclosure and to adult members of the offender's immediate household.

    Level II Offenders
    The law enforcement agency may disclose the same information it may disclose on Level I offenders and it also may disclose information to agencies and groups the offender is likely to encounter. These agencies and groups include the staff members of public and private educational institutions, day care establishments, and establishments and organizations that primarily serve individuals likely to be victimized by the offender. The agency also may disclose information to individuals the agency believes are likely to be victimized by the offender based on the offender's pattern of offending or victim preference.

     Level III Offenders
    The law enforcement agency must disclose the information to the persons and entities that may receive notice about Level I and II offenders. In addition, the agency must disclose information to other members of the community whom the offender is likely to encounter, unless the agency determines that public safety would be compromised by the disclosure or that a more limited disclosure is necessary to protect the identity of the victim. When a Level III offender moves into a community, law enforcement typically holds a community meeting to provide information about the offender.

  • Are predatory offenders wanted by the police?
    Generally, no. Community notification is not part of the offender's punishment for an offense. Most sex offenders residing in the community have served the prison or jail times imposed on them and have been properly released to live in the community. Although many of these offenders are still under some form of correctional supervision (i.e., probation or supervised release), some are not.
  • What is community notification?
    Minnesota's community notification law requires assignment of risk levels to predatory offenders (i.e., sex offenders) who are required to register under Minnesota's predatory offender registration law. Based upon the risk level assigned to the offender, law enforcement must share certain information and may share other information about the offender with certain individuals and entities in the area where the offender lives, works, or attends school. This law aims to increase public safety by letting people know where these offenders are in the community.
  • Is it okay to take steps to try to get a predatory offender to leave the community?
    No. The community notification law is a civil law aimed at furthering public safety and is not considered punishment. The harassment of individuals subject to community notification by community members could lead to a court deciding that the law is punishment and unconstitutional in certain cases; if this happened, Minnesota's ability to conduct community notification on predatory offenders would be significantly reduced.
  • How can I obtain information about level III offenders living in my community?

    Information about Level III offenders is posted on the Department of Corrections website.

  • Where can I park?
    Boulevard signs will be posted for the restrictions that apply to each block. Utilize driveways and parking lots whenever possible. Cars may not be parked on grass, in front yards, or across the sidewalks. MSUM does permit free parking in some of their lots after 5 pm and that may be an option for neighbors during snow events. Those lots are signed accordingly.
  • Who do I call if my driveway is blocked by a vehicle?
    You may call the Police Department at 218.299.5120.
  • How far do I have to move my car to avoid a ticket in a 3-hour zone?
    The car must be moved at least one City block for the 3-hour time period to be restarted.
  • Can a tenant in a rental unit in the 3-hour zone apply for a Residential Parking Permit?
    No. The property owner must make the application and determine how the permit will be shared between the tenants living in a rental unit.
  • What are the hours of the Snow Removal District parking restrictions?
    The snow district restrictions follow the day and time of the posted road maintenance schedule. You may check on whether a Snow Removal Declaration is in effect at any time.
  • Will vehicles with disability license plates or residential parking permits have to move their cars for snow removal?
    Yes. Vehicles with disability license plates or permits are not subject to the 3-hour parking time limit, but are subject to all other parking regulations. All vehicles will have to be moved during snow removal periods and posted street maintenance schedules.
  • Will you issue warnings or tickets before towing?
    Warnings will not be issued in the case of snow events or when a vehicle is blocking someone's driveway regardless of the weather. It was very clear from the parking study that illegal parking and the narrowing of streets due to incomplete snow removal are both a safety concern and major frustration.
  • If my car is towed, how do I get it back?
     During normal business hours, contact the Police Department at 218.299.5120 to pay the fees and arrange a time to release the car.
  • What are the requirements for disability parking permit?
  • What are the various risk levels and what do they mean?

    There are three levels, as follows:

    • Level I offenders have a risk assessment score that indicates a low risk of re-offense.
    • Level II offenders have a risk assessment score that indicates a moderate risk of re-offense.
    • Level III offenders have a risk assessment score that indicates a high risk of re-offense.
    • Unassigned offenders have not been through the Minnesota Penitentiary System and thus assigned a risk level. These Offenders from other states are treated as Level II offenders.
  • Who is a predatory offender?
    A predatory offender is an offender who is required to register under the predatory offender registration law, except for individuals who are required to register solely because of a juvenile delinquency determination. A person is treated as a predatory offender if the person has committed felony criminal sexual conduct or certain other designated sex crimes, kidnapping, or false imprisonment. These crimes are often referred to as predatory offenses. The law recognizes as predatory offenders those individuals who have committed these crimes under Minnesota law, federal law, or the law of other states. The law also requires registration of certain individuals who have been civilly committed as sexually dangerous persons or as mentally ill and dangerous, provided the person was charged with a predatory offense.